Messaging app that allows video chat and shared timelines
Most people within the English-speaking audience don't quite realize how incredibly large the Asian market is, especially around Vietnam and neighboring areas, and so an app like Zalo, which is a social media app for the Vietnamese, is always a welcomed addition to that very large culture.
Reviewing the Ins and Outs of Zalo
Just a short foreword before we start reviewing Zalo: This isn't a product that would interest you unless you have some sort of ties to Vietnamese and similar cultures. Unless you have a large social base in these Asian countries, this app probably isn't your cup of tea. With that being said, Zalo is a great app for Vietnamese users. It basically acts like any social media messenger or IM service, in that you register with the service and then you're free to send an array of IMs and phone calls, etc, to stay in touch with friends in your network. The big selling point with this app in particular is that it's geared for the niche Vietnamese market and not the larger Western market at large. This means everything from its languages offered to its features are centered on Vietnamese culture and thus are best left for the Vietnamese to download and use.
Overall, this app isn't too different from any other social media site you'll find out there. It even has a throw-back quality, if you appreciate the old-school chat rooms like MSN. You can set up and join a wide array of public chat rooms on this app, and you can even use the app as a dating site.
Pros and Cons of This Android App
- Perfect for the Vietnamese market
- Very user friendly and intuitive
- Has a large existing base
- Streamlined design and attractive layout
- Rather large file size
- Only really caters to the Vietnamese market
- Bug fixes and prepare for holiday event
Happy new year 2017!
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access approximate location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION.
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- CALL_PHONE: Allows an application to initiate a phone call without going through the Dialer user interface for the user to confirm the call.
- CAMERA: Required to be able to access the camera device.
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Allows access to the list of accounts in the Accounts Service.
- READ_CONTACTS: Allows an application to read the user's contacts data.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- READ_SMS: Allows an application to read SMS messages.
- RECEIVE_SMS: Allows an application to receive SMS messages.
- RECORD_AUDIO: Allows an application to record audio.
- WRITE_CALL_LOG: Allows an application to write (but not read) the user's call log data.
- WRITE_CONTACTS: Allows an application to write the user's contacts data.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- BLUETOOTH: Allows applications to connect to paired bluetooth devices.
- BROADCAST_STICKY: Allows an application to broadcast sticky intents. These are broadcasts whose data is held by the system after being finished, so that clients can quickly retrieve that data without having to wait for the next broadcast.
- DISABLE_KEYGUARD: Allows applications to disable the keyguard if it is not secure.
- GET_TASKS: This constant was deprecated in API level 21. No longer enforced.
- INSTALL_SHORTCUT: Allows an application to install a shortcut in Launcher.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS: Allows an application to modify global audio settings.
- MOUNT_UNMOUNT_FILESYSTEMS: Allows mounting and unmounting file systems for removable storage.
- READ_LOGS: Allows an application to read the low-level system log files.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows an application to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting. If you don't request this permission, you will not receive the broadcast at that time. Though holding this permission does not have any security implications, it can have a negative impact on the user experience by increasing the amount of time it takes the system to start and allowing applications to have themselves running without the user being aware of them. As such, you must explicitly declare your use of this facility to make that visible to the user.
- SET_WALLPAPER: Allows applications to set the wallpaper.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.
- WRITE_SETTINGS: Allows an application to read or write the system settings.